When it comes to food, it is vital to ensure that the food is not only tasty but also, nutritious and healthy. One such healthy yet tasty option is baking fresh fish. This low fat high protein food is an excellent option to use instead of frying the fish in oil. What’s more, one of the fastest and easiest ways to prepare fish is to bake it. You can add your own ideas and innovations to make a healthy dish that is rich in flavor, color and texture. Read on to learn how to make a simple, nutritious and tasty baked fish dish.
Fish and Veggies Bake
Let us first look at the ingredients required to make this dish.
Ingredients to Make Fish and Veggies Bake
The following includes the list of ingredients required to make this baked fish dish.
- fish fillets
- an egg
- bread crumbs
Required Items to Make Fish and Veggies Bake
The following materials are required to make this baked fish dish.
- non-stick spray
- baking dish ( choose a shallow one)
Procedure to Make Fish and Veggies Bake
Here are the things to do while baking fish.
- The first step is to rinse your fish fillets with cold water.
- Next, dry them using a paper towel. Make sure to dry them gently. A little note to remember is that when you plan to bake a whole fish, make sure to rinse not only the exterior but rinse the insides of your fish as well. After drying your fish fillets, it is now time to preheat your oven to about 450°F.
- The next step while baking fish would deal with preparing the cooking implements. Take a non-stick cooking spray and spray the baking dish with it. While placing your fish inside the baking dish, make sure you do so with its skin side facing down.
- Next, we move on to seasoning the fillets. Season your fish fillets with an adequate amount of salt and freshly ground pepper. You can also add other seasonings if you desire. Some people like to pat some butter on their fish fillets for added flavor. However, there are those who would not want to do so in order to avoid adding fat. The decision to add or not add butter, depends entirely on you.
- The next step while baking a fish will require a bit of calculation. In order for you to figure out how long it would take for you to bake your fish, you would have to measure its thickest part. For every inch on its thickest portion, you will have to bake it for about five to 10 minutes.
- Next, bake the fish fillets along with vegetables. You can add in carrots, squash and other vegetables of your choice.
- The final step for baking fish is to give your fillets a fried texture. Dip the fillets in a beaten egg and then roll them in bread crumbs. After this step, do a final round of baking to get a nice golden crust for your fillets.
Tips and Warnings
Keep the following tips and warnings in mind while baking fish.
- Be cautious and do not over bake your fish. This will result in your fish having a leather-like texture.
- Preferably, request for the bone of the fish to be removed at the time of purchase itself. This will save you a considerable amount of time while cooking.
- If you do not have a baking dish, you can use a pie plate, provided that it is large enough to hold the fish fillets.
Additional Information on How to Bake Fish
For more information on how to bake fish, you can also read:
How To Bake Fish