Also known as maverikos, dolphin-fish or calitos, mahi mahi has a taste that is similar to tilapia and flounder. You can panfry mahi mahi, steam it or have it broiled. However, to retain the natural flavor of the seafood, the best way of cooking it is by baking it. Like tilapia, the flesh of mahi mahi is delicate. In order to be sure that the seafood is baked properly, it is important to know the recommended baking temperature and time for the fish. To add taste to the seafood, you can add some ingredients to season it.
Recommended Temperature and Time
The recommended time for baking the fish is 10 minutes per inch. A medium sized mahi-mahi can be cooked in an oven that has been preheated to 350-450 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes. Remember to lessen the cooking time when you increase the oven temperature. It is also best to check the fish in the oven every five minutes to see if the flakes can be removed from the skin easily. To enjoy baked dishes that include the seafood and to know how to bake mahi mahi, featured below are recipes that can help you learn the basic steps involved in preparing and baking the fish.
Fresh Baked Mahi Mahi
Let us first look at the ingredients required to make fresh baked mahi mahi.
Ingredients Required to Make Fresh Baked Mahi Mahi
The ingredients required to make this dish include:
- 6 pieces medium size mahi mahi
- ½ cup raspberry juice
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup cream
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
Instructions to Make Fresh Baked Mahi Mahi
The following simple steps will yeild this delicious dish.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter on 6 pieces of medium sized mahi mahi and sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon each of pepper and salt.
- Arrange the fishes on a greased baking dish. Pour 3/4 cup of cream and 1/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar over the seafood.
- Cover the baking dish with parchment paper and place inside an oven that has been preheated to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for 12 minutes.
Serve immediately. Your hot, delicious mahi mahi are ready to be tasted!
Easy Baked Mahi Mahi
The next dish we are going to look at is called easy baked mahi mahi. Let us take a look at the ingredients required to make this dish.
Ingredients Required to Make Easy Baked Mahi Mahi
The ingredients include:
- a pound of mahi mahi fillet
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Instructions to Make Easy Baked Mahi Mahi
The following steps are involved in making easy baked mahi mahi.
- Grease a baking dish with a tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil. Place 1 pound of mahi mahi fillet in the dish.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of orange juice and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice over the fillet. Next, add pepper and salt according to taste.
- Put the baking dish in an oven that has been preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the fish in a plate.
- Transfer the fish juice to a saucepan and add 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch. Mix well and add water. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens. Add the remaining ingredients (1 1/2 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon orange marmalade and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest) and stir for two minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the baked fish.
Serve easy baked mahi mahi and enjoy!
Tips and Warnings
Keep the following tips and warning in mind while cooking mahi mahi.
- Take care to ensure that you do not overcook the fish. This will make it dry and rubbery.
- While serving mahi mahi, you can also serve fresh salad, green beans or mashed potatoes to make the meal a fulfilling, sumptuous one.
- If you are baking your mahi mahi with the skin on, you could bake it with the skin facing down. Place the fish on an aluminum foil. After the fish has been baked, you can insert a spatula between the skin and the fillet, thus removing only the fillet, while the skin remains stuck on the aluminum foil.