A yam is a vegetable that looks similar to a sweet potato but it has a different nutritional value. It is a very useful and nutritious vegetable that is even used as staple food in some regions for survival. It can be stored up to even 6 months without refrigeration. It can be used as a valuable resource during food scarcity or paucity. This vegetable is commonly used in healthy dishes because it contains various minerals and nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6 and manganese. Aside from these, it has dietary fiber, which is important to improve digestion and prevent constipation. Baking is one of the methods that you can use for preparing the crop. Let us now look at some simple recipes using baked yams.
Baked Apples and Yams
The first dish we are going to look at is baked apples and yams.
Ingredients Required to Make Baked Apples and Yams
The main ingredients for this recipe include:
- 3 yams
- 2 medium size apples
The other ingredients that can enhance the flavor of the dish include:
- a cup of apple juice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup toasted and chopped walnuts
Instructions to Make baked apples and yams
The following includes the list of simple steps involved in making baked apples and yams.
- Fill a saucepan with water. Cook 3 yams in the saucepan and wait until the vegetables are tender. Place the crops on a plate and set aside for 10 minutes. Remove the outer skins of the vegetables and slice into several portions.
- Slice the 2 apples and arrange them along with the crops in a baking dish.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and a cup of apple juice in a small bowl. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Add in, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and ¼ cup of brown sugar. Mix well. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Cover the dish and place inside the oven that has been preheated to 400° F. Cook for half an hour. Remove the cover and return to oven. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add in, ½ a cup of chopped walnuts that have been lightly toasted.
Nutty Yam Bake
The next recipe we are going to look at is that of nutty yam bake.
Ingredients to Make Nutty Yam Bake
For this special recipe, you will need:
- 3 lb yams
- 1cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
In addition to these ingredients, you also need:
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Instructions to Make Nutty Yam Bake
- Boil 3 pounds of yam in a medium size saucepan. Wait until the vegetables are tender before removing them from heat. Peel and mash the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Add in ¼ cup of butter, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, sugar, allspice and nutmeg. Beat 2 eggs and add this to the mixture along with 2 cups of milk. Use an electric mixer to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Mix the sugar, butter and flour in a bowl. Add the cinnamon and pecans. Drizzle the mixture on top of the yams mixture. Place the dish in an oven that was preheated to 375°F. Cook for half hour.
For further information on how to bake yams, you can also read: